Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Taking Chances!


Last Saturday was the 1st Zumba class after 2 weeks. We were off for Columbus Day weekend, and the previous Saturday I was supposed to do a 5K for Breast Cancer, but wound up sick in bed all weekend.

Needless to say, it was nice to see my students after the 2 week break.

I was not sure what to expect. It is my experience in the field of autism and special needs, that a break usually means that we might have to start from scratch upon returning.

They were all smiling, and ready to begin. They all took their places, eager for the music to start!

None of them missed a beat. In fact - they seemed to remember the music and the choreography perfectly. I also noticed a change in each student.

When I start teaching Zumba to a group of typical adults, they all start off a little hesitant amd reserved. As the weeks progress, I get to see the students evolve from quiet and clinging to the back of the class, to a group whooping, adding their own moves in, and starting to enjoy it for themselves.

I saw something similar take place this past weekend.

B - a beautiful young lady who started off shy, but smiled everytime I praised her, was laughing, smiling, and waving her arms around in new ways. I saw her taking more chances with the steps, and noticed her standing next to me more, liking what she saw in the mirror.

D, who marches to the beat of his own drummer and tends to get easily distracted, followed each and every move during the last class. He was smiling, jumping, and flapping through the moves - as he often does when he is happy - but has begun to follow when I move from side to side, up and down, and adding new arm movements.

L, who is hearing impaired, continues to smile and watch his friend X, who is a natural leader and enjoys pushing his friends to move more, shouting out praise and good jobs every step of the way. Whenever L gets lost with a move, all he needs to do is watch X, who will tell him, "Come on, L! Do this L! Great job L!"

X also started throwing in some awesome arm movements that I stole and started to incorporate into a few songs. In the next few weeks, I plan on giving him an opportunity to do some moves in front of the class and lead us. I think he will rise to the occasion!

Up until last week, I have been careful about my songs, and my choreography. I have been hesitatnt to throw any moves at them that are too fast or too complicated. But they were all so completely *ON*, I began to speed up my moves. And the stayed with me.

So, I decided to throw caution completely into the wind, and switched up my playlist. I put on Descarga de la Luz by Orquesta de La Luz. It is one of my favorite salsas - but it is fast, and over 6 minutes long.

Here is a live version of the song so you get an idea of what it sounds like

It was like these guys were born to salsa. They followed every move I threw at them. During the drums we all used our hands to shake and "play the drums". I would then just throw salsa moves at them.

They just get the formula. They can follow the pattern of the song and can just sense what comes next.

Since the song was so long, I also just gave them an opportunity to move and feel the music. The parents stood and watched, transfixed. They did not know their kids could move like that!

I had to fight back tears. I know - it's so silly. But to feel that electricity in the air during this was such a moving experience... I didn't want it to end!

They were all laughing, singing along - just being themselves.... to music.

One of the moms said her son is recognizing the music he hears in his class when he goes out in the community. He gets so excited when he hears the music!

The class went over a little, and some other students who come for special needs martial arts got to see a bit of the class, and were free to jump in. 2 young men jumped into the last 2 songs so easily!

It was so nice seeing them all again after 2 weeks. They make waking up early on a Saturday morning so worthwhile!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment